Last updated: September 5, 2013
July 12, 2012
The following lists of businesses were copied from the list of sponsors in the Niobrara County High School Yearbook of 1929:
A.E. Johnston (Groceries)
Albany Hotel, Denver, Colorado
A.Y.P. Service Station (Chas. Updike, Prop)
Barnum Motor Company
Berry Electric and Radio Shop
Bishop's Billiard Parlor
Castle Cleaners (H.E. Castle, Prop.)
Chadron Creamery Co. (Chadron, Neb.)
City Meat Market (Cordell Bros., Proprietors)
Daniel E. Goddard, United States Commissioner, Dist of Wyoming
Duff's Auto Electric Service (Duff Hollon, Prop.)
Edw. M. Arnold
Fairmont Cream Station (Paul McConaughey, Manager)
Frank A. Barrett, Attorney-at-Law
Garden Billiard Parlor (George "Barney" Miller, Prop.)
Garden Theatre (W.T. Porter, Prop.)
George Earl Peet
Hampshire Sheep (John Robert Ord, Breeder)
Hanford Cream Station (Mary Carroll, Operator)
Helen's Hat Shoppe (Mrs. Helen Teakell, Prop.)
Henry Hotel (C.A. Schroeder, Prop.)
Hotel Townsend (Casper, Wyoming)
Irwin-Mills Hardware & Furniture Co.
Lusk Elevator (H.N. Best Prop.)
Lusk Lumber Company (W.B. Street, Mgr.)
Lusk Motor Co.
Lusk State Bank ("Total Resources - $330,000.00")
Lusk Table Supply ("Quality Groceries and Meats...")
Midwest Hardware Co. (George Gibson, Manager)
Niobrara Lumber and Coal Co. (G.C. Davies, Manager)
Rogers Drug Company
Snyder Mercantile Co.
T.E. Phillips (The Frigidaire Man, Harrison, Neb.)
The Lusk Bakery (J.E. Snethen, Prop.)
The Lusk Herald
The Palace Cafe (Chas. Snyder, Prop.)
The Royal Cafe (Elmer Meyers, Proprietor)
The Yellow Dot Service Station (Douglas, Wyoming)
Thos. M. Fagan, Attorney-at-Law
Troy Laundry Co., Casper, Wyoming
University of Wyoming ("Five Colleges on One Campus")
Van Graven Studio, Casper, Wyo. Photography
Burrowes Sweet Shop & News Stand (Mrs. Ivy Burrowes, Prop.)
Hugo F. Payne (Farm Machinery & Implements)
Vera's Beauty Shop (Inice Boon, Prop.)
Lusk Free Lance
February 5, 1931
M.M. MORRISON WILL OPEN NEW O.P. SKAGGS STORE HERE FEB. 14TH
Local carpenters and painters, under supervision of one of the Skaggs System contractors, are just about to complete their work in the former Brown Drug store building on Main street, in preparation for the opening of the O.P. Skaggs store, which will take place on Saturday, February 14, according to Mr. M.M. Morrison, owner and operator of the local institution.
The fixtures have been installed in accordance with the regular Skaggs system of arrangement and are now being painted in white. The front of the building is painted in blue, with the name and other lettering of the sign in white.
The store will be locally owned. Under the Skaggs system, Mr. Morrison as lessee, has been given a franchise on buying power through which he proposes to pass the benefits of high quality goods at lowest prices consistent with good management on to the public.
Mr. Morrison has been connected with Skaggs stores in this state for about ten years, coming to Lusk from Wheatland, where he was employed in a store for the past two years, this venture being the first under his ownership.
He, with his wife and son, Paul, have taken rooms above the store, where they will make their home.
E.E. "BILL" HUTCHINSON TO OPEN SHOE REPAIR SHOP HERE SATURDAY
The most recent addition to the business section of this city will open Saturday, February 7th, when E. E. "Bill" Hutchinson, formerly of Wheatland, puts his shoe repair shop in operation. This business is located in the Goddard building, next door to the Lusk State Bank, and the past week has seen the installation of all new, modern machinery for shoe repair work.
Mr. Hutchinson for several years operated a shop in Wheatland, but sold out to go to California. Upon his return to this state he selected Lusk and decided to locate here. He's a mighty tine fellow to meet and it appears that it won't be long until he has acquired a large following of customers and friends.
The family, consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Hutchinson and two small sons, have taken apartments in the Royal.
Lusk Free Lance
March 5, 1931
SMART SHOP WILL OPEN HERE IN NEAR FUTURE; MRS. MAYES TO MANAGE
Within the next couple of weeks, a new ladies' ready-to-wear store, to be known as The Smart Shop, will be opened in Lusk. The store will be located in the Mayes building, recently vacated by the Kuns barber shop. Men have been busily engaged making repairs and getting the place prepared for the fixtures which are to arrive soon.
Mrs. Elizabeth E. Mayes, former resident and well known in Lusk and vicinity, will manage the new store. She arrived here last Sunday and is directing the owrk being done by W. W. Edmondson and E.O. Kint. Announcement will probably be made in next week's issue as to the date of the opening.
Lusk Free Lance
May 14, 1931
J.M. HIMES ESTABLISHES PLUMBING SHOP IN LUSK; BACK AT OLD BUSINESS
J.M. Himes, who for the past fourteen years has engaged in farming and ranching north of this city, last week opened a plumbing and heating establishment in this city, located in the rear of the Lusk Electric Shop.
Mr. Himes, in opening the business, returns to an endeavor in which he was engaged for more than twenty years prior to coming here. He is equipped to handle all kinds of plumbing and heating work, and has installed the latest type of equipment and tools. He has kept in touch with improvements made in this business all the while he resided on the ranch, and re-enters the business thoroughly equipped as to knowledge.
Lusk Free Lance
August 20, 1931
A.C. "SLIM" TIBBITS OPENS GARAGE BUSINESS ON ELM STREET; READY FOR WORK
A.C. Tibbits, better known to many friends here as "Slim," this week opened a garage on Elm Street, two doors south of the Lusk Lumber company, where he will engage in all kinds of automobile and general repairing. Mr. Tibbits is well known in this city, having been employed at local garages for the past several years. He has equipped his shop with considerable new late-model machinery and expects to add more from time to time. The building is being remodeled, and "Slim" is already busily engaged "fixin" cars in need of repairs. Announcement of his opening may be found elsewhere in this issue.
Lusk Free Lance
August 20, 1931
BOYD CHEVROLET, INC. TAKES OVER INTEREST OF MIDWEST MOTOR CO.
Open Authorized Chevrolet Sales and service in Remodeled Hitshew Building.
Negotiations, which have been going on for the past several weeks, were concluded last Saturday, when the interests of the Midwest Motor Company, as local authorized Chevrolet dealers, were purchased by the Boyd Chevrolet, Inc., a new Lusk organization, composed of S.W. "Dade" Boyd, Wm. and George Mill. The Midwest Motor Company is headed by Henry Bredthauer.
The Boyd Chevrolet will have headquarters in the Hitshew building, just east of the Henry hotel, which was recently vacated by the Niobrara Motor company. The building has undergone a thorough renovation and considerable improvement has been made including the housing of a large office, sales and display room.
Besides being authorized dealers for Chevrolet motor cars, the new organization will carry and has already stocked a complete line of parts and accessories for the convenience of Chevrolet users. Gasoline and oils will also be available. A repair shop will be maintained in connection with the sales service and expert mechanics will be employed to do the work.
Mr. Boyd, president-manager of the concern, is well known to many Lusk and Niobrara county residents. He was engaged in garage business here for several years, leaving in 1923 to go to Glenrock, where he owned and operated a garage business. His confidence in this particular section of the state prompted him to relocate here. Billie and George Mill need no introduction from us, and we join their many friends in extending best wishes for their success in the new and progressive enterprise. They will be glad to meet their friends at the headquarter location.
Lusk Free Lance
September 24, 1931
Foster Lumber Company Assumes Charge of Lusk Lumber Interests
The change in ownership of Lusk's lone lumber yard, effected last week, when the Foster Lumber company took over the business of the Lusk Lumber company, brings to this city new life from that direction and establishes here a part of an organization that covers five states.
The Lusk Lumber went out of existence with the beginning of inventory, started last Thursday, when Mr. George E. Tubbs of Norton, Kans., superintendent of Foster retail yards, and Mr. F. E. Wertz of Brush, Colo., territory auditor for the new company arrived to take over the stock and interests of the Lusk Lumber and start business under the new management on its way.
W. B. Street, who managed the yard under the old firm for more than twelve years, will continue in charge of the Foster interests here. He was paid a high compliment by Mr. Tubbs, who said yesterday: "We are very glad to announce that we will continue Mr. Street as manager of this yard. It is seldom that we do this, as we have plenty of men within our own organization ready to be placed in new territory, but our investigations have convinced us that we do not desire to make a change. We feel that Mr. Street is just the man we want."
With the coming of the Foster Lumber company to this city, an organization with more than a half century behind it is to be welcomed by the citizens of Lusk and vicinity.
Starting with a small yard in Leonardville, Kans., in 1879, John Foster organized the company which yet carries his name. His five sons were taken into the company and since its birth it has grown to an immense concern of sixty-five yards which are scattered over Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Colorado and Wyoming, with this state having eight yards besides the one here.
The Foster Lumber is not a stock concern but is owned entirely by members of the Foster family, with headquarters in Kansas City, Mo. It has built up to its present size through its endeavor to be of real service to those of the territory it covers and wherever it has established a yard, it has prospered. It is known for the backing it has given local civic enterprises and this alone has made it a popular business in many places.
A sincere welcome is extended the new company with wishes for the most of success in this territory.
Lusk Free Lance
September 24, 1931
Independent Refinery Here is Incorporated
Lusk has, during the past week, added what promises to be an asset to its stability as one of the most progressive towns in the state, with the incorporation of the Lusk Oil and Refining Company, which to date is composed only of prominent local business men. Articles of incorporation were filed with the secretary of state at Cheyenne last Friday, and local filing was made with County Clerk Frank W. Chambers on Monday.
The company is headed by J.W. Seegrist, independent local gas dealer, as president, and Don C. Taylor, secretary treasurer, who, with J. Henry Deetjen make up the initial board of directors. John F. Harkin is acting as agent for the new company.
The refinery of the Lusk Oil and Refining company is located about a quarter mile east of this city, and the skimming process is the method used in extracting gasoline and other products from crude oil. With the present equipment, gasoline, kerosene tractor distilate and furnace fuel are the extent of refining possibilities, but it is anticipated by the officers of the company that further refining will be dealt in if and when the demand for such products warrant.
Several thousand gallons of crude have already been run through the plant in five or six tests and the results have been very satisfactory. The still is of 2,000-gallon capacity, and may not be of sufficient size if the orders for its products keep coming in. The company already has a number of orders for gasoline, and other fuels, and these orders are expected to increase steadily.
Large storage tanks are to be installed within the next week or two and if the demand for production becomes too large for the plant to handle, additional stills will be erected and placed in operation. It is understood that the lowest grade of refined material - furnace fuel, is very suitable for road oiling, and a substantial market has already been found for this by-product. The crude being refined here is from the Osage oil field.
The company is capitalized at $50,000 and the par value of the stock is $10.00 per share. No stock is for sale, however, at present, it is understood.
Type your search terms into the box below and his 'Search!' to begin searching the